Credit for Prior Learning Initiative
The credit for prior learning (CPL) Charting the Future initiative, identified in the FY17 work plan under initiative 2.2.2, "Advance strategies and capacity for competency certification and credit for prior learning at all colleges and universities." This initiative is led by college and university pilots and supported by Academic and Student Affairs.
- Identify work groups of colleges and universities to advance strategies and capacity for offering students credit for prior learning.
- Apply and refine a "toolkit" to scale up different types of credit for prior learning options for students
- Support faculty and staff professional development
- Commit resources to build capacity for credit for prior learning, including internal and external subject matter experts, to support colleges and universities as they progress
- Develop and update system-wide policy and procedures regarding credit for prior learning.
Credit for prior learning assists students with receiving credit based course equivalences for demonstration of equivalent competence through national exams, credit by exam, military experience through ACE or through prior learning coursework leading to portfolio review by an expert faculty member. Credit for prior learning recognizes students often enter our colleges and universities with college level skills. This experience could come through achieving an industry recognized credentials, military experience or through rigorous coursework at high school. Students can accelerate their pathway to degree completion and possibly save money through credit for prior learning.
Team SharePoint Site
This SharePoint is currently only accessible by Round 1 and Round 2 pilot teams. Members should use your STAR ID followed by @mnscu.edu (not your institution) and then use your STAR ID password.
For more information
Senior System Director for Workforce Development and Customized Training
Associate System Director for Career and Technical Education